What is a Repackaging Attack?When an attacker is repackaging an app for their own purposes, they usually use these 5 steps:
- Take the original app from the app store (e.g. Google Play). This can be done using little more than a web browser.
- Crack open the app – open source tools are freely available and make it very easy for an attacker to do this.
- Modify the app – an attacker will make changes to your app to suit their purpose.
- Repackage the app using standard development tools.
- Convince users to download the repackaged app – criminals are extremely skilled at phishing and other tricks to get users to download malicious, illegitimate apps.